Great yarmouth dating
There were a number of inhabitants of Yarmouth who supported the American patriots.
Despite the American Privateer raids in the Raid on Yarmouth, Nova Scotia (1775), the inhabitants still sheltered American prisoners after the Battle off Yarmouth (1777).
The region may have possibly been visited by Leif Ericson.
An object known as the Yarmouth Runic Stone was found at the nearby village of Overton in 1812.
During the Seven Years' War, New England Planters settled at what is now the town of Yarmouth in 1759; the grantees were from Yarmouth, Massachusetts and they requested that Yarmouth be named after their former home.
Following the war, Acadians originally from the Grand-Pré district who returned from exile in 1767 settled in the Yarmouth area.
After the American Revolution, substantial numbers of United Empire Loyalists arrived in 1785.
First demonstrated in Yarmouth Harbour during the summer of 1833, Patch was unsuccessful in a patent application in that year, but he continued to improve his propeller and received an American patent in 1849 As wooden shipbuilding declined in the late 19th century, Yarmouth's shipowners re-invested their capital into factories, iron-hulled steamships, and railways.
The direct service was curtailed on November 2nd 1959 when the section of line between Yarmouth and Haddiscoe was closed and subsequently some of the trains were diverted via Lowestoft via Gorleston.
The line from South Town to Lowestoft was run by the Norfolk & Suffolk Joint Railway Committee, a shared operation with the Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway.
The town's first railway was the locally owned Western Counties Railway which was built from Yarmouth to Digby in the 1870s.
It eventually was merged into the Dominion Atlantic Railway (DAR), with a network extending into the Annapolis Valley, Halifax and Truro; the DAR later became a subsidiary of Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR).